Sentence Correction Practice Questions
Read the following sentences and select the option that corrects the underlined sections. If the sentences sections are correct as written, choose option A.
1. If the books have been cataloged last week, why haven’t they been placed on the shelf?
A. have been cataloged
B. would have been cataloged
C. was cataloged
D. were cataloged
E. had been cataloged
2. Jessica Mitford wrote The American Way of Death, a best-selling book that led eventually to an official investigation of the funeral industry.
A. that led eventually
B. that had led eventually
C. that eventually led
D. which eventually led
E. who eventually led
3. Sabotage came from the French saboter, which means “to clatter with wooden shoes (sabots).”
A. which means “to
B. which means, “to
C. that means “to
D. that means-“to
E. that means, “to
4. When studying an assignment, it is wise to read it over quickly at first, than see the major points, and finally outline the material.
A. first, than
B. first: then
D. first, then
5. To judge the Tidy City contest, we picked an uninterested party.
A. picked an uninterested party.
B. picked an interested party!
C. picked a disinterested party.
D. are in the process of picking an uninterested party.
E. picked an disinterested party.
6. Linda decides they had better scram before the killers find them.
A. had better scram
B. had better leave
C. should hurry and scram
D. could hurry and leave
E. had better get out
7. I really dug the character of Brutus.
B. thought about
C. thought of
E. gazed at
8. Once upon a point a time, a small person named Little Red Riding Hood initiated plans for the preparation, delivery and transportation of foodstuffs to her Grandmother.
A. and transportation of foodstuffs to her Grandmother.
B. and transportation of food stuffs to her Grandmother.
C. and transportation of food supplies to her Grandmother.
D. and transportation of foodstuffs to her grandmother.
E. and, transportation of food supplies to her grand mother.
9. The setting of a story effects the story’s plot.
A. effects the story’s plot.
B. effects the stories plot.
C. affect the story’s plot.
D. affects the story’s plot.
E. affects the story’s plots.
10. Arctic trees are scrubbiest than trees in milder climates.
A. scrubbiest than trees
B. scrubbier then trees
C. scrubbiest than are trees
D. scrubbier than are trees
E. scrubbier than trees
11. Quebec rises in a magnificent way above the St. Lawrence River.
A. rises in a magnificent way above
B. rises in a magnificent way, way above
C. rises magnificently above
D. rises magnificently way above
E. is raised in a magnificent way above
12. Someone gives the school gerbils every year.
A. Someone gives the school gerbils
B. Some one gives the school gerbils
C. Some one gives the School gerbils
D. There is a person that gives the school gerbils
E. An individual gave gerbils
13. During colonial days, a school room looked rather empty.
A. colonial days, a school room looked
B. colonial days, a schoolroom looked
C. colonial days; a schoolroom looked
D. colonial days; a school room looked
E. colonial days-a schoolroom looked
14. The helium-filled balloon rose in the air.
A. rose in the air.
B. was rising in the air.
C. was in the air.
D. rose into the air.
E. would rise in the air.
15. If I had the address, I would have delivered the package myself.
A. had the address,
B. had the address;
C. had the address-
D. had had the address;
E. had had the address,
16. Do you know that these gloves have lay on the bureau all week?
A. have lay on
B. have laid on
C. would lie on
D. had laid on
E. have lain on
17. If I would have known about the team tryouts, I would have signed up for them.
A. had known
B. would have known
C. could of known
D. had been told
E. could have been told
18. If he would have revised his first draft, he would have received a better grade.
A. would have revised
B. had revised
C. could of revised
D. had of revised
E. would revise
19. Valarie claims that cats made the best pets.
A. made the best pets.
B. could be the best pets.
C. are the best pets.
D. make of the best pets.
E. make the best pets.
20. By next month, Ms. Jones will be Mayor of Tallahassee for two years.
A. will be Mayor of Tallahassee
B. will have been Mayor of Tallahassee
C. will be mayor of Tallahassee
D. will have been mayor of Tallahassee
E. could have been mayor of Tallahassee